Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/seumas09/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Glasgow Herald Archives - Online

News: Thinking of Christmas? have you considered gifting a society membership to a friend or relative? or both :-) October 31, 2014, 04:07:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. *

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Richard Conway
Keepers

« on: November 30, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »

People - I found this one by chance, even though I have emailed the Herald about a dozen times over the years on the subject.

Anyway, here is a link to an archive of Heralds going back years.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19140203&b_mode=2&hl=en

Unfortunately, they are not searchable, but for the years I looked (1913 -1914), they seemed to have every edition.

The zoom-in function is not bad, but the images appear to be made up of a mosaic and occasionaly a wrong segment appears, but changing the zoom looks as if it cures this

Enjoy !

Cheers

Richard
barobalti
Searchers

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »

Hi -- These (Glasgow Herald) archives are now very "searchable" via the NLS Web site... Give it a go and let me know how you get on?
Check out "Newsvault" under "Licensed Digital collections"
regards,

Ian Pettigrew (formerly of Motherwell and Coltness)
Richard Conway
Keepers

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

Ian - Thanks for that.

I tried the NLS as you suggested and now have access.

As you say, the Heralds are very searchable and the results are very good.....once you get the hang of it !

It took me a few attempts to navigate around the website and then get the search function to do what I wanted, not easy but it works and far better use of research time than scanning through each edition on Google (interesting though they are, I found an advert for the company that imported my daughter's piano back in the 1920s).

Thanks again - Good tip !

Cheers

Richard
Richard Conway
Keepers

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »

People

Here's another good site. It's pay to view but very cheap. The shortest subscription is 48 hours costing about 7 quid. This gives you upto 100 downloads. The Advanced Search function is excellent and you can search and short-list your downloads before you start your 48 hour frenzy.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

The database is still being populated (they claim 1000s of pages per day) but they have a lot of Glasgow Herald material AND the Motherwell Times.

Enjoy !

Cheers

Richard

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: